Why Is Joist Tape Required?
According to research conducted with builders, over 90% of the foundation of a deck begins to fracture and decay after approximately 8 to 10 years. Typically, the boards supported by that substructure are warranted for around 25 years. If you want to ensure that your deck is safely supported by its substructure for the duration of its life, you may safeguard your investment for a small additional expense.
Joist tape is an inexpensive way to safeguard the substructure of your deck. Because it is put as a cap directly on top of joists and beams, peel-and-stick flashing tape allows the wood to breathe. By functioning as a barrier, the tape protects screw holes from moisture. Joist tape will guard against decay and ensure that your foundation lasts as long as your deck.
DeckWise Joist Tape
DeckWise Joist Tape is a pliable polyethylene waterproof wood flashing that is applied to joists, posts, and ledger boards using a rubberized asphalt adhesive. It is simple to install on joists, posts, and ledger boards. It provides a watertight seal, which helps to keep your pressure treated boards free of rot and decay for longer periods of time.
Wood rot is caused by moisture trapped on your treated wood structure, and the Joist Tape will help you in preventing this from happening. When your deck screws pierce your joists, decay can develop. Decking tape will establish a barrier around your decking screws, preventing water or moisture from getting into your joists and causing decay.
Tape the joist barrier in place once it has been cut to the right length for your joist. Apply tape in the middle of the joist and wrap around the perimeter. Firmly press the material and roll it with a hand roller to increase adherence.
How to use DeckWise Joist Tape?
In order to protect your deck’s posts, this DeckWise Joist Tape should be put at the ground level with 2-3 inches of tape reaching above the surface. Place the post in the hole and draw a mark at ground level where you want it to be buried. If you don’t want to remove the white backing from the tape, wrap it around the post a few times, making sure to leave a one-inch overlap.
This will help you calculate the lengths of tape you will require. Ensure that your tape is the proper length. As you wrap it around your post, remove the backing and push it firmly into place as you go to ensure a secure fit. After that, use a tiny hand roller to run over the tape again. Additionally, the top border of the joist barrier tape can be caulked to provide extra protection.
Corrosion Blocker—When you put DeckWise Joist Tape between ACQ, CA-B, or ACZA treated timber and metal surfaces (such as aluminium or galvanised metal), it provides a barrier that prevents contact between the chemicals in the treated lumber and the metal surface, hence avoiding corrosion.
- The rubberized asphalt adhesive on JoistTape “Super Grip” acts as a self-sealer around deck screws, preventing water intrusion into deck joists.
- Applicable to joists, posts, ledger boards, and cut ends
- Joist Tape is supposed to be protected from direct sunlight by either deck boards or siding and should not be exposed to direct sunlight for more than 90 days.
- Install at a temperature of at least 40 degrees Fahrenheit (60 degrees Celsius).
- Application must be on a clean, dry surface.
- Compatible with PVC 0.3 to 4 mil thick
DeckWise Tape Uses
DeckWise Joist tape may be used to cover decking joists, deck support posts, and ledger boards. DeckWise Joist Tape forms a watertight membrane around the joists, assisting in the prevention of deterioration and wood rot. DeckWise Joist Tape is a waterproof wood flashing that is adhered with a rubberized asphalt mastic.
- When applied to the top of decking joists or over ledger boards, as well as around support posts, DeckWise Joist tape forms a watertight layer that helps prevent decay and wood rot. Rot is produced by moisture that remains in touch with treated and untreated wooden deck framework and the material above the decking.
- Additionally, wood degradation can develop when deck screws penetrate the deck boards, penetrating the sub-framing of the joists below. The use of WiseWrap JoistTape creates a barrier around decking screws, preventing moisture and water ingress.
- WiseWrap JoistTape rubberized asphalt glue forms a self-sealing barrier around deck screws, preventing water intrusion into the joists. When the barrier tape keeps this moisture from entering and rotting the wood, it extends the life of a fresh new deck or restoration.
- When installed between ACQ, CA-B, or ACZA treated timber and metal surfaces such as galvanised metal or aluminium, JoistTape forms a physical barrier that protects the metal surface from corroding due to contact with the chemicals in treated lumber.
Product Suggestions and Precautions that you need to take
- When the temperature is above 40°, make sure to apply to a clean, dry surface before continuing.
- If your working conditions do not allow for adequate adhesion, you can attach your tape using staples or nails if necessary. You may also use a spray adhesive designed for building projects.
- When exposed to direct sunlight for more than 90 days, Joist Tape should be protected by a decking board or siding to prevent deterioration.
- Despite the fact that it has a slip-resistant surface, it may become slick under specific circumstances. It is imperative that you use extra caution while walking or standing on joists where the tape has been applied.
The Bottom Line
DeckWise is one of the most reputable brands in the industry. They are the pioneers in this industry and you certainly cannot go wrong with them. DeckWise also guides you on how to choose the best joist tape for your needs. It is also a very reputable brands and it is one of the things you should consider while you are buying a joist tape.
Deckwise also provides you with directions on how to use their products which you should definitely follow. They offer quality products and you should definitely check them out.foundation of a deck begins to fracture and decay, this DeckWise Joist Tape