All property owners want a healthier home that is free of pathogens, allergens, and dust. By discovering common causes of illnesses in the home, property owners find out how to lower their health risks and keep everyone in the home healthier. Identifying the risks can also help owners control risks to their property. Homeowners who want to find out if they are living in a healthy living environment can read through 4 reasons to be alarmed if you live in a damp house.
You Discover Mold in Your Home
Mold presents a serious health risk to property owners and their families. It increases the frequency of respiratory conditions such as allergic reactions and increases asthma symptoms. The species of the mold defines the risk to the property owner.
Removal services complete tests and find out what species of mold is in the home. The species helps the service providers treat the home effectively. Moldicide is often used according to the species found in the home.
Black mold is considered toxic and causes fatalities every year. Mold develops in the home due to a higher level of moisture and dampness. It is common in homes that don’t have proper ventilation and where the air conditioner isn’t used as often. Central units control humidity and temperatures in the summer, but some property owners don’t set the units at a temperature that controls moisture properly.
The fungus spread due to spores in the air. While it is impossible to get rid of all spores, homeowners can control the moisture levels in their homes and prevent the fungus from surviving. It is recommended that homeowners should dry up the water around sinks and bathtubs daily. Mold grows on just about every surface where moisture is found.
Removing shower curtain liners that are covered in mold gets rid of mold and prevents it from spreading. Some cleaners lift and remove mold from sinks and bathtubs effectively and cut down on spores in the air.
Cockroach and Rodent Infestations
Cockroaches are often referred to as water bugs because they are attracted to water inside a residential property. Homeowners who have experienced water leaks are at a greater risk of cockroach infestations. The bugs enter the property once the new water source is found, and roaches multiply quickly when they have immediate access to water and food sources. Unfortunately, the debris left behind by the cockroaches increases asthma symptoms and causes respiratory illnesses. When roaches are found, the owner must exterminate the pests and clean up all droppings proactively.
Water sources and moist places are attractive to rodents, too. Foundations and basements are moist places for residential property owners. Higher moisture levels inside living spaces increase the attraction as well. Rodent droppings increase asthma symptoms for children especially.
Water leaks increase the odds of pest infestations. At the first sign of a roach or rodent infestation, the property owner needs pest control services, and they must clean up all the excess water left behind by the water leak. The pests are found most frequently in areas affected by the water leak, such as cabinets underneath sinks. Homeowners can look at helitechonline.com and review repair options for preventing pest infestations.
Property owners protect their homes further from rodent and roach infestations by keeping dry foods in thick plastic containers and putting pet food and water away after their pets eat. Decluttering the property also gets rid of places where pests can hide and reproduce.
Bacteria Growing Inside Your Home
Dehumidifiers are used to control moisture inside the home. Bacteria require moist conditions to thrive and multiply. Viruses thrive in moist areas and increase health risks, too. The most common bacteria found in residential properties include bacillus, staphylococcus, pseudomonas, and micrococcus.
Staphylococcus is a dangerous bacterium that is often resistant to prescription medications. It can cause a serious infection in the airways and throat. Homeowners are at a greater risk of developing staph-related skin infections if the bacteria is found in their home. Unlike micrococcus, staph could cause a fatality. While micrococcus isn’t a strong bacteria and doesn’t affect most homeowners, it can affect homeowners with immune-deficiencies and cause severe respiratory illnesses.
When foundation damage occurs, a bacillus becomes a major contender in the home. It affects the digestive tract and increases the risk of gastrointestinal diseases like diverticulosis. The human body has a limited amount of bacillus in the digestive tract, but a larger volume of the bacteria in the home increases the risk of food poisoning.
Pseudomonal infections include but aren’t limited to pneumonia, endocarditis, meningitis, and enterocolitis. The bacteria is found in the soil underneath a residential property. A damaged foundation could allow the bacteria to travel to higher space in the home and increase health risks for property owners.
Dust Mite Infestations
Dust mite infestations increase respiratory symptoms and cause itchy and watery eyes. A cough and runny nose may also occur. Many homeowners are allergic to dust mites and experience more severe symptoms including hives and more profound asthma-like symptoms. According to studies, the mites need temperatures that are at least 80 degrees. Increased humidity also plays a role in helping the mites thrive inside the home.
Beneficial defenses for dust mites start with the removal of wall-to-wall carpeting. Homeowners should clean their draperies and curtains often to remove dust. Minimizing humidity levels in the home helps prevent greater infestations. Using mite-proof bedding and plastic mattress covers fight the effects of dust mites and keep them off beds.
Changing out air filters in central units more frequently removed dust from the air. Air cleaners are a great idea for improving air quality, too. Dusting furniture decreases the reproduction of dust mites and reducing allergy triggers.
A healthier lifestyle is promoted by a safer home. Four possibilities in the home present serious health risks and more profound respiratory illnesses for families. They include mold, bacteria, pest droppings, and dust mites. Moisture and dampness are the most frequent causes, and foundation damage increases the moisture and dampness levels in the home.