There’s no question that hardwood flooring has become one of the most desired materials for any room’s floor. Not only does hardwood flooring come in many different colors, styles, and species, but certain types (i.e. engineered hardwood flooring) has made this flooring option even more approachable for the everyday homeowner. That is, homeowners can enjoy the look and feel of hardwood, but with easier care and maintenance, and greater longevity.
Beyond engineered hardwood flooring, many consumers desire certain stains, finishes, textures, color schemes, qualities and characteristics. Some of these features have become more trendy than others. Below we share what’s trending now from 2019 to 2020 in the world of hardwood flooring.
1. Dark/Neutral Stain and Color
Stain and color help to improve the appearance of the floor. Some of the floor color and stains that are trending in 2019 include dark shades and tints. Besides that, there has been an increasing interest in sizzling redwoods with dramatic colors. Popular colors and stains for hardwood flooring include:
- Mid-toned stains such as provincial, chestnut, and special walnut.
- Brazilian cherry makes a bold statement with the classic deep red color.
- Darker colors are still popular and include coffee browns and dark walnuts.
- Neutral colors are also picking up, especially grey.
2. Distinct Surface Finishes and Looks
Certain hardwood surface finishes help to improve the look of the wood grain. Besides that, they are essential in protecting the floor. Trendy finishes to look out for are those that are environmentally-friendly and durable.
Water-based polyurethane is currently the most trendy hardwood floor finish. It’s clear and gives your floor a classic look and feel. Oil sealer is another popular choice. It’s a versatile type of finish that also allows for future touch-ups. Oil sealer normally brings out beautiful grain patterns and enhances the hardwood’s color.
3. Wire-Brushed and Hand-Scraped Texture
Hardwood texture is important in accentuating elegance. A trend that has never gone out of style is the smooth texture. However, the use of wire-brushed texture is quickly picking up. Although it looks discreet, it’s still distinctive. Besides that, hand-scraped texture has proved to be an attractive imperfection thanks to the “waves” which range from extreme to subtle.
4. Wood Flooring Hardness
The term hardness in hardwood cannot be easily defined. It can mean resistance to friction or moisture content. However, using the Janka Hardness Scale can help to determine the durability of hardwood flooring. Also known as the Janka Hardness Rating, this scale is a system that measures denting and hardness. Hardwood trends regarding hardness have been changing. Red oak is a top-ranking hardwood flooring according to this scale. Brazilian Cherry and Santos Mahogany are also on top of this ranking scale.
5. Low-VOC and Eco-Friendly Hardwoods
Not too surprising with more and more people becoming health conscious about their living spaces, environmentally-friendly hardwood flooring options are now a major trend in the industry. Generally, hardwoods create floors with a superior feel. However, it’s also important to use materials that support a beautiful and eco-friendly home environment.
People are moving towards organic home building products. Some of the noticeable trends include hardwood with low volatile organic compounds (or “VOCs”). Low-VOC hardwood flooring meets some of the highest compliance standards. This healthier and more eco-friendly hardwood flooring is especially important for people suffering from respiratory diseases such as asthma, bronchitis, and other respiratory allergies.
6. Popular Hardwood Species
2019 has seen the introduction of various hardwoods into contemporary flooring projects. There is a broad range of hardwood species that are now making their way into the scene. They help to create various ambiances (i.e. warm, formal, regal, and cozy among others.) Some of the trendy species to look out for include:
- Brazilian Cherry: this is a luxury hardwood that features signature red-brown color that’s carefully streaked with shades of black.
- Maple: it has an attractive color palette which perfectly rivals the nature of oak. Maple has stunning lemony tan tones. You can also choose from the classic greys and the clear neutrals.
- Oak: it’s increasingly a favorite for most homeowners. Oak is a resistant hardwood species that’s durable. A lot of people are falling in love with its medium gingery brown shade.
- Mahogany: This is a stunning hardwood species with amazing durability. One of the mahogany strain that’s picking up is the Santos Mahogany. This exotic luxurious strain is available in several shades including dark chocolate and orange-brown.
7. Wood Color Blend
While most people love darker or lighter color shades for hardwood flooring, there is increasing enthusiasm for color combination. A blend of medium and light brown and grey is attractive. Note that this type of color or tint marriage helps to create a beautiful sensation of various colors known as Greige. Hardwood manufacturers are now producing more greige products with intriguing shades.bathroom wall and floor tiles ideas, bees in danger, hardwood flooring, interior trends, living big in a tiny house, living room design for small spaces, modern kitchen trends, pinterest predicts the top home trends of 2017, pinterest predicts the top home trends of 2017 photos, pinterest predicts the top home trends of 2017 special, things in the living room, tourist in el salvador, trends 2016, wood trends